Thursday, April 13, 2006

And My Kids Hate Spiders In The Tub

Good thing they don't live in South Africa where these little beasts have started popping up. Bathing children in Cape Town must be screaming bloody murder!

CAPE TOWN (Reuters) - Rat-tailed maggots, every bit as ugly as they sound, have been popping out of basins, toilets and taps across Cape Town, sparking a citywide panic that health officials tried Wednesday to calm.
[...]
The body of the aquatic brownish larva can grow up to 2.5 cm (an inch) long, with a rat-like tail that can be twice that length and in fact serves as a breathing tube.
This is a combination I think I could have lived without....rats and maggots. Regular maggots make me run for cover, but these things are 3" long including the tail. Of course, you cannot expect me to suffer through this sort of discovery alone, can you?

I am totally creeped out.

Story from Reuters with the picture and the creepy find to Gail at Scribal Terror.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Thanks for upholding the Scribal Terror reputation as Maggot Central, for all your maggot needs.

Roug said...

Rumor has it that down at the local Larvae Emporium (where I typically procure all my carrion crawler supplies) there are some serious labor issues and a strike is possible.

Should the maggots there crawl out on the job, I will open an account with Maggot Central.