Sunday, September 20, 2009

Creating the Creative

Teaching is not an easy job. I get that. My kids still don't pick up their stuff like they should and say "like" too often.

I therefore appreciate teachers that thinks long and hard about their job day after day. Our society has changed and the children have changed too. I admire teachers who try to replace ineffective teaching methods with new ones that are more challenging and thought provoking to today's students who are entering a post-adolescent world with more challenges than the one I lived in when I entered college.

I'm not so sure that I appreciate teachers who push the envelope trying to produce the sorts of degenerate thought provocation that students might run into while living in a crazy world.

An English teacher is being closely monitored at Kingswood Regional High School after administrators said she assigned an inappropriate essay topic to her students.

Jack Robertson, superintendent of the Governor Wentworth Regional School District, said the teacher asked students to respond to the question: "If you knocked your brother down, would you urinate in his mouth?"

The question was posed as part of creative writing assignment to a class of about 12 or 13 seniors. Robertson said the question was designed to help motivate students to improve their writing, but he said the teacher lacked good judgment in assigning the question.
The teacher is now having her assignments monitored by a supervisor.

h/t Right Nation

No comments: