Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It Is Time

I have come to think of Michigan as the best place on Earth in which to struggle to survive. Hey, if you have to have it tough, why not suffer all your trials and indignation in a state that simply explodes with spring flowers?

There are few places that can rival Michigan's beautiful forests, lakes and streams to a person having a difficult time living on credit cards. Where else in these United States can an unemployed person gaze upon so much beautiful coastline? Truly, Michigan offers four seasons of splendor to people unable to meet the basic needs of their children.

I think you know where this is heading.

This afternoon I will be heading out on a long journey to scout out other states for job opportunities. I leave both hopeful that I will find something and apprehensive that I just might. I was born here and raised here. My parents, 89 and 86, are both alive and enjoy twelve months a year of living in a state that they were never forced to leave. My brother and sisters as well as nearly all of my nieces and nephews still call Michigan home.

Leaving is not an easy thing to contemplate.

I will be on the road for two weeks (give or take) and hopefully will arrive back in town with some solid leads for future employment. Posting will be very light.

Wish me luck.

6 comments:

stonehands said...

Hey, buddy!
Stay in-touch with me best you can.
I'll be praying for you.

(If you're in the area, feel free to stop in. Not many prospects for work here but I'd welcome the visit and your company.)

Oh! And springtime is pretty nice over this way, too.

Jason Gillman said...

Tell your tale wherever you go!

Let those who will listen know that what Granholm has done to our state is Obama's plan.

God bless and good hunting

Jason

Eric T said...

Best of luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Michigan has been on these tracks a long time, since Miliken and before that. Between all those who are receiving benefits from the state, the public employees and union crowd any changes will be a hard fight. The brain drain will continue to be a gusher. Good Luck, My kids are right behind you.

Anonymous said...

U will be missed. But I know the situation. I had to leave MI 2 yrs ago to find gainful employment. And I have to tell you, I love FL. I come back to MI (like now) and am just FLOORED that people still put up with the crap sandwich that is the MI Gov and the Unions. Good luck to you. I will NEVER return to MI.

Ken said...

I wish you the very best on your trip. I understand your feelings and motivations; I've been there.

The realities of the Michigan economy are not just ephemeral...they hit real people and have real consequences.