Monday, September 29, 2008

This Will Not Be Our Last Financial Mess

Being the typical American I find myself filled with a good deal of anger over the financial crisis the country faces today. I maybe feel even a greater amount of confusion over what the right course of action might be to fix it.

An astonishingly large $700 billion figure eked out of Washington as the magical amount to save the family farm, apple pie, puppies, kittens and the Detroit Lions. Well, maybe not the Detroit Lions.

Let me say that though I'm willing to admit that a bailout may be necessary, it goes against all of my conservative principles. I read enough to know that the crisis we face is one largely made of government regulation and intervention, and trusting our government to regulate and intervene on our behalf (once again) tastes a lot like our school's old "hot lunch" program.

Hopefully the country will have survived this politician-created fiasco and be back on sound financial footing before the next major politician-created financial crisis hits. But, don't worry, we have been assured that Social Security is not in crisis, just like we were told that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were operating smoothly and posed no financial danger.

Who do you suppose that crisis will be blamed on, and how much do you suppose that will cost to fix?

No comments: