Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Slowly Coming Back

I have been home now for a couple of days and am starting to settle back into the routine of getting a full six to seven hours of sleep a night and not having to rub the car seat shaped seams stamped into my back side.

My trip's success cannot be judged in the short term because my main goal was to get plugged back into the network of professionals I once worked with. It is my hope that they remember me for what I was good at and are completely able to forget the other 90 per cent of my performance. I will keep you posted on that.

I was heartened shortly after my travels began to discover that bureaucrats are similar regardless of location. For instance I was exposed to this delicious quote in the June 12th edition of the Quad-City Times.

`This moved us from theoretical discussions to endorsing concepts.`
Thus spake Joe Slavens in support of a suggestion that the Quad-City Development Group allow the area chambers of commerce to oversee the bringing of jobs to the area. Slavens leads the new group. His comment should be trademarked and marketed as the perfect answer to any question posed to a government official.

During my trip I crossed the Mississippi several times, visited two states where I had never been before, saw the Flint Hills of Kansas, accidentally found the both majestic and haunting old Joliet Prison, relearned the heat index blanketing Oklahoma, petted a wild turkey, and pushed my odometer nearly 3,500 miles in nine short days. Air conditioning is a good thing.

I will be slowly getting back to this blogging thing. That is, as soon as I can get some concepts endorsed.

2 comments:

RightMichigan.com said...

Welcome back!

And maybe it's selfish of me, but I hope you're back to stay.

--Nick
www.RightMichigan.com

stonehands said...

Hey! Good to see you're still kick'n!

Drop me a note & bring me up to speed.

BTW, The Wings finished 2nd.